CrossFit, or going to the gym for weight training? This is a question that has been asked by many people. And it is not an easy question to answer, as both have their benefits and drawbacks. Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of each option.
If you are like most people, you have probably never heard of CrossFit training. And if you have, you may not fully understand what it is.
What is CrossFit?
The CrossFit workout is an intense workout that gets your heart rate going. It involves a lot of lifting and cardio and is a great way to get in shape. It's become popular in recent years, and for good reason - it works!
CrossFit is a type of high-intensity interval training that involves carrying out functional fitness activities at a fast pace.
Functional fitness exercises are those activities that require the use of your muscles, and little or no gym equipment. They include squats, pushing, pulling, and jumping.
It is also more than a workout as it includes other lifestyle choices like good nutrition to ensure that an individual is truly fit. The exercises are repetition-based so that they are trackable and productive. An individual who performs CrossFit for over 5 hours should be able to burn up to 3000 calories weekly.
The CrossFit workout is also a great way to improve your mental toughness and prepare yourself for anything life throws your way. It's not for the faint of heart, but if you're looking for a challenging workout that will leave you feeling accomplished, CrossFit is definitely for you.
Benefits of CrossFit
Helps Improve Your Overall Physical Strength
This high-intensity fitness program can help improve your strength, endurance, and overall physical fitness. Crossfit workouts typically include a mix of weightlifting, cardio, and bodyweight exercises, all of which can help you build muscle tone and reduce body fat.
Helps Improve Your Cardio-Fitness
Aerobic strength is the ability to sustain high levels of activities for extended periods. To improve your aerobic strength, you need to do CrossFit high-intensity workouts. These workouts will help to push your body to its limits, providing an excellent way to improve your overall cardiovascular fitness.
In addition, these workouts also help to build muscular endurance, which is essential for sustaining high levels of activity over long periods.
Helps Improve Your Agility, Flexibility, and Balance
CrossFit high-intensity workouts are a great way to improve agility, balance, and flexibility.
This type of exercise helps to improve overall fitness and can be used to improve specific skills such as running, jumping, and climbing.
CrossFit Promotes Clean Eating
CrossFit workouts are high intensity and require lots of energy. Eating clean whole foods provides the body with the necessary nutrients to perform at its highest level. CrossFit also helps to build lean muscle mass, so eating enough protein helps to maintain that muscle mass. In addition, CrossFit workouts often involve multiple repetitions of exercises, which requiring proper fueling with carbs and proteins to prevent fatigue and keep energy levels up.
Finally, CrossFit workouts are typically done in a group setting, which helps to create a sense of accountability and camaraderie.
Crossfit & Traditional Gym Weightlifting Compared
The gym is where you go for weight lifting, cardio workouts, and exercises.
Most people visit gyms because they want to shed some weight or develop muscle mass. This does not require the services of a personal trainer or setting specific time-based goals. Here are some pros and cons below.
- Access to a wide variety of equipment in a traditional gym gives you the ability to customize your workout to specific goals
- Burns calories efficiently
- Running on a treadmill for hours or just lifting weights can be a bore
- Traditional gyms can be expensive. You have to pay for a membership, and then pay extra for things like personal trainers or classes. With CrossFit, you usually pay one monthly fee, and that is it. No extra charges
- Traditional gyms can be dangerous. I have seen people lift too much weight and then drop it on themselves, or get injured because they were not using the proper form. With CrossFit, the workouts are always supervised by a trained professional, so you are much less likely to get injuries
The CrossFit workout method is based on gymnastics, weight training, and cardio exercises. Unlike the traditional gym workout, CrossFit does not require much equipment as most exercises are bodyweight exercises. However, CrossFit gym can have some equipment like kettlebells, a battle, a plyometric box, and barbells.
- CrossFit is a great workout for people who are looking to get fit and have fun while doing it
- CrossFit is super versatile, and there are endless possibilities in terms of what you can do with your workout
- CrossFit is very inclusive and welcoming to people of all fitness levels
- You can go as hard or as easy as you want, and there is always something new to try
- The CrossFit community is incredibly supportive, and the workouts are very effective in terms of getting people in shape
- CrossFit can be intimidating if you are a newbie to weightlifting and working out. But with proper coaching and OnRamping, the intimidation will go away.
- CrossFit workouts are shorter in length than a lot of more “traditional style” gym workouts but are meant to be more intense. If you are not focused on intensity and your gym doesn’t help you understand how to do that, you may not achieve your desired fitness level.
- CrossFit doesn’t regulate the amount of training a CrossFit coach needs apart from having a CrossFit Level 1 certificate. Making sure the gym you choose is professional and focused on helping their coaches develop their craft needs to be a prerequisite.
Is CrossFit For Me or Not?
There are debates about which type of workout is better - traditional gym workouts or CrossFit. I think CrossFit is the way to go.
Here is why: First of all, CrossFit is constantly varied. You never get bored because you are always doing something different. Second, CrossFit is scalable.
Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned athlete, you can always find a way to make the workout challenging for your level. Third, CrossFit is intense. You are constantly pushing your limits and as a result, you see results quickly.
Finally, CrossFit is fun. It is not just about working out - it is about community and support. If you are looking for a workout that will challenge you physically and mentally -- CrossFit is the way to go.
How to get started with CrossFit?
CrossFit is a great way to get in shape. It is fun, and it is also a great workout.
To get started, all you need is a CrossFit box, some CrossFit shoes, and some CrossFit clothing.
The first thing you need to do is find a CrossFit box near you. There are CrossFit boxes all over the world, so finding one should be easy. Once you find a CrossFit box, you need to sign up for a membership. This will give you access to all the facilities and equipment that you need to participate in CrossFit workouts. After you sign up for and complete OnRamp, you can start attending classes.
Classes are typically one hour long, and they're led by a CrossFit coach. The coach will guide you through the workout, and they'll also offer tips and advice on how to improve your form and technique. What are you waiting for? Find a CrossFit box near you and sign up for a membership today.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does CrossFit really work?
YES, IT DOES. CrossFit is so good that it is trusted by members of our military.
What is Murf?
Murf is a workout named after the Medal of Honor recipient Lt. Michael Murphy. He was an avid CrossFit athlete and a Navy Seal. The Murf Workout consists of a 1-mile run, 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 squats, and a 1-mile run.
Can I take pre-workout supplements and protein after the workout?
Yes, you can. Redcon1 Total War would be the best supplement if you are looking to set a new personal best.
The bottom line is that, for most people, a well-rounded CrossFit workout provides more benefits than a traditional gym workout. Not only is it an incredibly effective way to get in shape, but it is also lots of fun. CrossFitters are a close-knit community, and the workouts are always varied and interesting. Plus, the competitive nature of CrossFit means that you are to keep pushing yourself to be better.
However, it is important to find the right CrossFit box and take the time to learn the movements before diving in headfirst. Have you tried CrossFit? What was your experience? Let us know in the comments below!
Guest Post Written by: Aziz Khan
Aziz Khan is a fitness enthusiast. He is always looking to challenge himself with extreme workouts and very high rep counts. When he is not pushing himself you can find him working on his blog.